The event window for the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach is now open, with the world’s best surfers studying the conditions as they wait for their chance to hit the waves over the next 10 days.
The 60th edition of the world’s longest-running surfing competition entered the waiting period today (Tuesday, April 4), but small surf saw the Championship Tour event called off for the day.
The draw has been set for when the surfing action actually begins, with local hero and Rip Curl Pro wildcard Xavier Huxtable facing a baptism of fire against incumbent world #1 Jack Robinson and four-time Pro winner Kelly Slater.
Reigning champions Filipe Toledo (men) and Tyler Wright (women) will both be in the lineup to defend their titles.
Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach women’s opening round matchups:
- Heat 1: Caitlin Simmers (USA) vs. Bettylou Sakura Johnson (HAW) vs. Sophie McCulloch (AUS)
- Heat 2: Molly Picklum (AUS) vs. Macy Callaghan (AUS) vs. Johanne Defay (FRA)
- Heat 3: Carissa Moore (HAW) vs. Lakey Peterson (USA) vs. Kobie Enright (AUS)
- Heat 4: Tatiana Weston-Webb (BRA) vs. Caroline Marks (USA) vs. Isabella Nichols (AUS)
- Heat 5: Tyler Wright (AUS) vs. Gabriela Bryan (HAW) vs. Sally Fitzgibbons (AUS)
- Heat 6: Stephanie Gilmore (AUS) vs. Brisa Hennessy (CRC) vs. Courtney Conlogue (USA)
Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach men’s opening round matchups:
- Heat 1: Ethan Ewing (AUS) vs. Nat Young (USA) vs. Carlos Munoz (CRC)
- Heat 2: Griffin Colapinto (USA) vs. Seth Moniz (HAW) vs. Maxime Huscenot (FRA)
- Heat 3: Caio Ibelli (BRA) vs. Ryan Callinan (AUS) vs. Ezekiel Lau (HAW)
- Heat 4: Joao Chianca (BRA) vs. Matthew McGillivray (RSA) vs. Dylan Moffat (AUS)
- Heat 5: Filipe Toledo (BRA) vs. Ian Gentil (HAW) vs. Owen Wright (AUS)
- Heat 6: Jack Robinson (AUS) vs. Kelly Slater (USA) vs. Xavier Huxtable (AUS)
- Heat 7: Italo Ferreira (BRA) vs. Connor O’Leary (AUS) vs. Kolohe Andino (USA)
- Heat 8: Callum Robson (AUS) vs. Jordy Smith (RSA) vs. Michael Rodrigues (BRA)
- Heat 9: Leonardo Fioravanti (ITA) vs. Rio Waida (INA) vs. Jackson Baker (AUS)
- Heat 10: Yago Dora (BRA) vs. Samuel Pupo (BRA) vs. Jake Marshall (USA)
- Heat 11: Gabriel Medina (BRA) vs. Kanoa Igarashi (JPN) vs. Liam O’Brien (AUS)
- Heat 12: John John Florence (HAW) vs. Miguel Pupo (BRA) vs. Barron Mamiya (HAW)
The next call will be at 7.15am tomorrow (Wednesday, April 5).
For more information, head to worldsurfleague.com
Read Surf Coast Times story here:
Image: Tyler Wright roars in triumph after the hooter sounds in 2022 to signal her debut victory at the Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach. Photo: MARCEL BERENS/SPORTS MEDIA IMAGES